You might also like...

Image Map

Wednesday 14 August 2019

Ondée : le cardigan


Well hello everyone!

It has been a very long time since my last post (almost one year) and this blog has been awfully quiet BUT a lot has happened during that time so let's say that I have a good excuse, OK?

*This will be a longer post than usual but only because I have been away for so long*

I have relocated last September and could not take any of my crafty things with me except for my iPad and pencil in order to practice my calligraphy.

I then managed to get my sewing machine and serger back over the Christmas break (yeaaaaah!). Unfortunately I had to leave all my sewing books and patterns behind except for four Deer and Doe patterns. Luckily, I bought 6 more from them on Black Friday as well so I have enough to keep me busy for a little bit. I have actually already made a few garments with them and I will try to make a post in order to show them (but if you follow me on Instagram, they are there already).

So as I am slowly trying to get my crafty life back in shape and this blog alive, please bear with me.

And now for the main event....Ondée!

The problem when I relocated from France was that the amount of things I could take with me was extremely limited. So when it came to clothes, I only brought a few dresses for job interviews, a pair of jeans, a few t-shirts and two jumpers. Add some shoes and a jacket and you've very quickly reached the amount of luggage a human can carry around when travelling on their own. Plus, being September, it was rainy and cold over here so no Spring or Summer clothes in there. PLUS, because of my weight loss (a complete other story), the vast majority of my clothes were too big anyway.

It was no surprise that my main mission - once I got my sewing machine back - was to attempt to make a new wardrobe.

One item that I am definitely lacking is cardigans. I had brought two with me but they were old Primark ones and a bit saggy. I have always wanted to have short cardigans (the ones that stop at your waist and not your hips) and have not been successful in finding some so far.

Earlier this year I've made one Ondée sweater with a very cute piece of fabric (which you can see here) and it reminded me of how much I like this pattern because it is quite quick to make. I also remembered that I had thought before about the possibility of turning this sweater into a cardigan as it was the perfect height and shape.

Luckily for me, when looking online to find ideas, I realised that this idea was not (obviously) as original and creative as I thought and other people had already thought about it (how dare they think about it before me?!).

I found a very nice tutorial on Berenice's blog - Fil(e) Droit - (link here) and got started: the explanations are very clear and well documented with pictures and if you have made this sweater before, it helps in the speed of the process. It took me about 6 episodes of "Don't Trust The B**** in Apt 23" (was never interested in this show before but turns out I quite like it - it's amazing the things you watch when there's nothing else on...or it's 4am on a Saturday). 

And here is the final result of this hack:
click on picture to enlarge
I love my Harry Potter t-shirt :-)

I did not add any buttons because it was almost 11am the next morning and realised I had to go to sleep if I wanted to go to the cinema at 3pm I found it cuter that way.

As I was cutting the fabric for this one, I cut more fabric for a second in grey but with short sleeves. I assembled it when I got back from the movies though.

And voilà!
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
Still no buttons on that one because I really had to go to sleep if I wanted to go to work the next day I still found it cuter that way.

I am very happy with the way they look. At first I wanted to mix the two colours and make them black and grey but the boyfriend said it would be better to have them in one colour to start with. and I think he was right on that one.

I also had some leftovers from a dress I had made and it was enough to make a third one:

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

That's it from me today. Thank you if you've stayed and read this post until the end :-)

Hopefully, I will manage to post a bit more often from now on!

--------------
Pattern: Ondée Sweater from Deer and Doe
Fabric: Jersey from Hop Stitch & Jumper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...